OK...kidding. I did see the most amazing thing today. At least, amazing to this point. I had the opportunity to observe a total knee replacement. Seriously. I was completely enthralled.
What I didn't know before surgery today:
1. The surgeon and his/her assistants dress up as "bee keepers/spacemen" to reduce infection
2. They replace only the articulating surfaces
3. The cement they use to hold the new pieces has fumes that are toxic to fetuses...not that there would be any reason to care.
4. The cement is way cool. Starts as a foam (I made a snowman..the rules were "no dice and no balls") and heats up to over 200 degrees (had to quick put it down after the chemical reaction began), and hardens super HARD
5. Anesthesiologists can be very funny people
6. I don't look good in shower caps...but the scrubs...I looked hot.
7. Shoe covers save you from sticky spots on the floor
8. They make face masks with plastic eye shields (I looked like Tron)
9. What Jen Yeaton's husband does...the sales rep for Stryker was fascinating...and cute.
10. Most knee studies are done on knees that are varus and most surgeries done where I am are on older females who have valgus knees
11. That watching surgeries is down right fascinating.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment